Mirfield has long been associated with boat building. The first boat yard being established at Shepley bridge in 1776, followed by
two further yards at Ledgard Bridge (near the Navigation Tavern) and Battyeford (on the island between the river and the canal.).
These three yards over the next 178 years produced hundreds of
boats for owners all over the county. 373 craft were registered as being built at Mirfield. The last commercial barge to be launched was the keel "Isobel" in 1955.