At the junction of Leeds Road and the old Brighouse-Elland Turn Pike, stands a 26ft stepped stone column topped with a ball, known locally as the "Dumb Steeple". Constructed from local stone the column bears neither inscription nor markings of any kind.
The column is thought to date from the early 1700's and could well have replaced a previous monument on the site. The meaning of the name and its purpose have long been forgotten, but here are some of the more common theories:
The "steeple" part of the name suggests a religious connection and the proximity to the old Kirklees Priory could give this some credence, alternatively it may just refer to its shape. The "dumb" part of the name is even more puzzling. If we follow a religious theme it could be a corruption of "Domini", latin for "Lord's", making it the "Lord's Steeple" (Domini Stapulus). Alternatively, it could be a corruption of "Doomed Steeple"; doomed being a reference to King Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries that closed the nearby priory.